Friday, February 21, 2020

HyperDoc Makeover: High School Edition

When I taught AP World History, I assigned a History or Hollywood assignment to my students once the AP Exam had concluded in May. Student worked in groups outside of school to analyze a motion picture based on historical events to determine if the events portrayed were true to history or were Hollywood embellishments. Without it being required, most students chose to make a video to present their research. Check out one of my favorites below as a pair of students analyzed the historical accuracy of Gladiator. Please note that the video was created around 2001, a gentler time when the biggest technology problem we faced was how to fix the tracking on the VCR! The 2nd video involves



I thought I would resurrect this lesson after accompanying Mrs. Deemer and Mr. Hallinan's Global History 10 classes to a recent viewing of 1917 as part of their World War I unit. I modified the original lesson and turned it into a HyperDoc using Google Slides, leveraging consistent background image on each slide, textboxes to solicit student responses, and my Bitmoji to inject a little humor. Check out the "Before" and "After" below!

Before


After