Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Pop Culture in the Classroom: Star Wars

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I was seven years old when Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope was first released and can remember putting my hands over my father's eyes as he was driving, encouraging him to "use the force." Although I don't remember how I was punished, I did learn a few new words that day! Who would have thought that we'd be talking about the release of another installment of this epic saga four decades later?! I can't wait to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi, as it will be released next week, and am confident that it will be yet another blockbuster. I am equally confident that many of our students will be just as eager to watch the movie and ask their parents and/or Santa for all of the movie-related merchandise.

As educators, we oftentimes struggle to make learning relevant to students. Leveraging pop culture offers us a way to engage students in the learning process. Whether it's using pop culture references as a hook or making a connection with students who are shy and reluctant to participate, teachers who incorporate pop culture into their lessons are likely to cast a wide net to reach all students.

Check out the Star Wars Crawl Creator to learn how to turn your own text into the famous Star Wars Crawl that introduces each episode of the series. And may the Force be with you, always!