Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Remote Teaching: FFT

When I took the Positivity Project's character survey, the trait that was assigned to me was "Perspective." Truth be told, I took the survey a few times just to test its validity--Perspective every time! As most of us are going through something new for the first time, I thought I'd share something I saw on 60 Minutes last Sunday as it offers a bit of perspective given our current situation. One of the featured stories was about an author and academic named BrenĂ© Brown (you can watch the full segment here). I had never heard of her, but apparently, she has a pretty popular TED Talk about the power of vulnerability with nearly 47 million views! I decided to subscribe to her podcast, which she discussed in the interview. It's called Unlocking Us. I just listened to the first episode and in it, she shares her thoughts about FFTs--"Fu@#$%^ First Times" ("Terrible First Times" if you are having conversations with kids). She acknowledges that doing something new is hard, but the first step in opening ourselves up to growth is to name the "FFT" to normalize it, put it in perspective, and reality check out expectations. I'm sure many of you are growing frustrated with the dramatic changes to our routines over the past few weeks. If you can tolerate some good-natured cussing, I would encourage you to give the first episode of Unlocking Us (linked above) a listen.

"In this episode I talk about my strategy for staying in tough first times versus tapping out and shutting down. When we get to the point that we only do things that we’re already good at doing, we stop growing. And truly living."
--BrenĂ©  Brown